No matter how new or how old a console is, at some point it will experience technical difficulties or its performance will sluggishly decline.
The Playstation 4 is a part of this, but unlike other systems, the PS4 has a built-in feature to assist with troubleshooting these problems and look for anything impeding the console’s operation. This feature is called safe mode.
Learn everything you need to know about this fantastic function included with the PS4, its advantages, and how to utilise it if you ever need to resolve some issues if your console has recently been acting up in the following paragraphs.
What Is Safe Mode?
When you restart your Playstation 4, the first screen you see after safe mode has been engaged is that one.
You can choose from a number of choices on this screen to try and improve the performance of your console or to start a factory reset if you need to fully wipe your console clean.
Among these choices are:
- Change Resolution: Switches display to 480p when you next load up the console to resolve screen issues.
- Update System Software: Update your console s software to ensure it is fully up to date, this can either be through a direct download or from a USB drive.
- Restore Default Settings: Factory reset without deleting games, apps and saved data.
- Rebuild Database: Moves all your content to a new database on the console, this is a great option if the console is running very slowly or if technical issues are occurring constantly.
- Initialize PS4: Complete factory reset which resets your console to its original settings and deletes all user data and apps.
Safe mode is an excellent alternative if you need to repair some technical problems but are unsure how to do so because it includes options to reduce any PS4 troubles by fiddling with the system’s hardware.
How To Use Safe Mode
Fortunately, starting a PS4 in safe mode is quite simple, so you may do so if your console is having problems.
Follow these easy steps if you want to attempt it or just want to make sure you know how in case there are any problems in the future:
Turn Off PS4
As usual, turn off PS4 by holding down the power button for a short period of time.
Hold Down Power Button
Hold the button down when you turn the Playstation back on to hear one beep, then hold it down for an additional seven seconds to hear another. Release the power button once you hear both.
Toggle Safe Mode
As soon as the screen prompts you to put in your controller, your PS4 will start up in safe mode. From here, select the troubleshooting option of your choosing.
Deactivate Safe Mode
Simply turn off the console and restart it by hitting the power button to get it out of safe mode.
Does PS5 Have A Safe Mode?
Fortunately, safe mode is a built-in function of the Playstation 5 system and is really set up in the same way as the Playstation 4.
It will offer the same troubleshooting options that can help clean up your console and improve its performance when used from time to time.
With just holding down the power button for a few more seconds, safe mode is a great feature that every Playstation user should take advantage of to ensure their system remains up to date and performs at the best of its hardware capabilities.